top of page
  • Writer's pictureCharlotte Burr

Uninsured Motorist/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Explained: What Every Driver Should Know

Uninsured and Underinsured motorist coverage is used when you have gotten in an accident and the other person involved does not have insurance or does not have adequate insurance to cover the damages done to you or your vehicle or the people in your vehicle.

What happens if you do not have underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage?

  • Underinsured (UIM): If you get in an accident that requires $35,000 in repairs to your vehicle but the person responsible for the crash has insurance that will only cover $15,000 then you will be left with $20,000 to be paid out of your pocket.

  • Uninsured (UM): Hypothetically if someone who is uninsured hits your car and repairs cost $5,000, you would have to pay the $5,000.

Here's the good news! When you do buy UIM/UM insurance, the circumstances above will be covered by your insurance provider. Uninsured motorist coverage protects you further by covering hit and run incidents as well.

Is collision coverage enough? Short answer, no, collision coverage does cover the damages of your own vehicle in the instance of a crash but it does not cover bodily harm in any way. If you were injured in the crash and needed surgery you would want UM/UIM insurance so that you are not paying that hospital bill out of pocket.

AZ Insurance Team always recommends getting Uninsured/Underinsured coverage as it is the best way to protect you and your vehicle. Let AZ Insurance Team find you the best quote on UM/UIM coverage by giving us a call today!

Independent insurance brokerage located in Tempe, AZ. We offer auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, renters insurance, commercial insurance…

Disclaimer: Coverage will vary on state, insurance company, and type of policy.


bottom of page