top of page
  • AZ Insurance Team

How to properly insure your fireworks

Updated: Aug 1, 2020

People have been using fireworks as part of celebration for years. There's no greater time for this than in the celebration of US independence.

But do you know everything that you need to in case something goes wrong?

We never want to think about anything bad happening when we're celebrating,

but The Fourth of July should never be a time to let your guard down. Here are a few things you should keep in mind when planning your celebrations.

1) Safety is most important

  • Know the local firework laws and whether or not you need a permit.

  • Never allow children to play with fireworks.

  • Keep children and other guests away from the lighting area.

  • Make sure you read and are familiar with all the instructions. (which are not just suggestions)

  • Never try to relight a firework that does not go off.

  • Make sure to have a water supply close to put out a fire if necessary.

  • Have a phone to call 911 on hand.

  • Do not drink alcohol and be in charge of your firework display.

  • Do not experiment (Fingers, arms, toes, legs and other appendages do not grow back).

  • Never smoke around your firework display or stash.

2) How’s your insurance looking?

Do you have sufficient liability coverage in the event that the unthinkable happens?

A. Damage to your home Some part of your home could be dam

aged or catch on fire as the result of a misdirected flare. In most cases, damage to your home is covered under your homeowner’s insurance, but you should check with your insurance agent or broker to make sure this is the case prior to setting off your fireworks.

B. Damage to adjacent properties There is the potential for one of your fireworks to go off course and cause damage to a neighboring home or structure. If the neighbor decided to sue you for damages, you would need to have third party liability coverage. This coverage is most often included in your homeowner or renters policy.

C. Injury to a guest Another possibility is the injury to a guest who is on your property at the time of the display. If a flare goes off course and injures someone on your property, you’ll need liability insurance just as you would if you inadvertently damaged someone else’s property. You are ultimately responsible for their medical bills, time off work, pain and suffering and/or reconstructive surgery.

AZ Insurance Team 480-535-5709

*All policies are a little different and this may not be applicable to your insurance policy, talk to your agent to see what your policy covers.*

bottom of page