Keep your Home Safe from Carbon Monoxide
Updated: Aug 4, 2020
Despite being odorless and colorless, carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that has the potential to cause death after long exposure. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention noted that hundreds of people in the United States die due to carbon monoxide poisoning each year. In order to avoid the risks of carbon monoxide, here are a few tips to be aware of to keep you and your family safe from the silent killer.
Keep carbon monoxide alarms throughout your house. There should be one on each level near a bedroom. Make sure your alarms are working and in good condition by testing them and checking the batteries regularly. The alarms should be replaced every 5 years.
Don’t run your car inside your garage. Doing so can increase the level of carbon monoxide to seep inside your home.
Check your furnace and chimney. If your furnace or chimney is not functioning how it should, it may lead to carbon monoxide build up. A professional should examine it every year. Close the flue of your fireplace only when the fire is completely out and the coals are cold.
Never use your grill inside. Keep your generators and grills at least 20 feet away from your house when operating.
Don’t use your stove and oven as a source for heat when you are not cooking. If you have a gas stove, install an exhaust fan for added ventilation.
Know the symptoms. If you begin to feel flu like symptoms such as headache and dizziness, get to fresh air immediately. You may have been exposed to carbon monoxide. Call 911 if more than one person in the home begins to feel sick all of the sudden.
Have questions? Give us a call.
AZ Insurance Team
*All policies are a little different and this may not be applicable to your insurance policy, talk to your agent to see what your policy covers.*